Football is back! We’re all excited to get to see game action again but don’t forget this is also an opportunity to scout player development, health and talent level. A number of players showed flashes of brilliance. For some guys that’s a pretty big deal as they answer questions about whether they are all the way back from injuries, their role in their O or whether they are ready to be the man.
Here are the 5 players from week 1 of the preseason with the most important showings for fantasy football 2018:
- Saquon Barkley – RB – NYG: Barkley checked the last couple of boxes to be considered one of the best fantasy prospects ever. He looks fast against 1st and 2nd string NFL defenders and he seems to have all the skills. Could he touch the ball 30 times a game? Why not!? An argument can be made for him as high as #3 overall in complete redraft leagues and #1 in virtually any kind of keeper league.
- David Johnson – RB – Ari: DJ’s back! We know he is as talented as anyone else in the league but it was good to see him back on a field making plays.
- Jamal Williams – RB – GB: He may be creating separation between he and Aaron Jones as Jones faces a suspension. J Will looked good running and receiving. He could be the next big thing in Green Bay.
- Mike Evans – WR – TB: I thought Evans looked beastly while producing big plays all over the field. It was good to see interim QB Ryan Fitzpatrick target him repeatedly and he could really break out if he becomes a more complete player.
- David Njoku – TE – Cle: Njoku barely beats out Seattle RB Chris Carson for the #5 spot in this ranking but his performance last weekend just can’t be denied. He is vaulting up my TE rankings after scoring 2 impressive TDs.
5 more who impressed: Carson, Kelvin Benjamin – WR – Buf, Davante Adams – WR – GB, Dak Prescott – QB – Dal, Marcus Mariota – QB – Ten.