By: Nate Leer
Week 8 has as the most teams on bye (tied with week 9) so your roster depth and ability to stream the best possible replacements will be tested. Think about these players for some help!
4 Players to start this week:
1. Alvin Kamara – RB – NO vs Chi: Kamara has become a weekly play. He is the best combination of fit in the O and talent QB Drew Brees has probably ever had. He is an explosive runner so can produce even with limited touches. He is also the receiving back for this team which makes his floor pretty high, especially in PPR leagues.
2. Devin Funchess – WR – Car @ TB: Funchess has been getting targets in bunchess. Now an elite matchup comes Tampa. Start him if you got him!
3. Carson Wentz – QB – Phi vs SF: This may seem obvious but if you have Wentz, you may have other good QB options because of Wentz’s low draft slot. Wentz may be the most valuable QB in fantasy football at this point and this is a sweet matchup. Start him over pretty much anyone this week.
4. James White – RB – NE vs LAC: White has been a consistent low end starting RB this year. This game could easily be a breakout and his floor is very high regardless. Expect San Di… Sorry, LA to score points against the Pats D so New England will have to pass a ton to keep up. That means catches for White and maybe a TD or 2.
Honorable mention: Josh McCown – QB – NYJ vs Atl.
3 Players to bench or cut now:
1. Martavius Bryant – WR – Pit @ Det: So, yeah. Last week at this time I said grab Bryant. Now more immature antics from him have led to a likely inactive designation for him this week. Feel free to cut him if you need a roster spot.
2. Alex Smith – QB – KC vs Den: Smith is a scary proposition even though he has been one of the best QBs in the game to this point. Denver’s D has not been quite as good against the pass this year as in the past but Smith is in a tough spot. He has lost some of his depth at WR and this is likely to be a low scoring game. Avoid Smith if you have other options.
3. Latavius Murray – RB – Min @ Cle (in London): Murray had a big game last week but be careful before plugging him into your lineup every week. Murray still splits touches with Jerick McKinnon so it could just as easily be McKinnon that has the bigger game. Plus, the Browns run D is sneaky good. Look for other options and save Murray until he is more proven.
Honorable mention: Cut all Ari WRs not named Fitz!
3 Players to grab and stash:
1. JuJu Smith-Schuster – WR – Pit @ Det: JuJu’s NFL skillset is starting to catch up to his Twitter skills. The Steelers O is starting to heat up and if Bryant doesn’t want to be part of it, JSS seems more than capable of stepping up. He is the youngest player in the league but light years more mature than Bryant even if a bit less talented.
2. Tyler Kroft – TE – Cin vs Ind: Kroft is getting consistent targets and producing some TDs. During a week with a couple quality TEs on bye, he is a good streaming option against a bad D.
3. Zay Jones – WR – Buf vs Oak: Jones was the most polished WR in the draft and he has solid size and speed. Buffalo is a surprise team and Jones stands to benefit from improved QB play and Ds having to focus on RB LeSean McCoy. Pick him up and stash him or even start in this prime matchup.
Honorable mention: Alex Collins – RB – Bal vs Mia.