By: Nate Leer
In week 2 we got to see most starters but for pretty limited stretches. Still, seeing entire first units on both sides of the ball gives a good idea of of who teams are likely to feature and how they will respond to legit Ds..
1. Doug Martin – RB – TB: Martin is suspended for the first 3 games of the regular season but he sure looks like the cream of the crop for Tampa RBs. He will benefit from the running lanes created by QB Jameis Winston’s big arm and stable of receivers if he can get on the field for a consistent stretch.
2. M Crabtree – WR – Oak: Fellow WR Amari Cooper is the darling of the Raiders receivers but I like Crabtree. He’s accomplished, competitive pro who brings size and red zone skills to the table. His move to score in week 2 shows he still has some juice in his legs as well.
3. Marshawn Lynch – RB – Oak: Beast Mode is back! At least for now. Whether this vet can sustain a good burst throughout the season, remains to be seen. However, he looked GOOD in week 2 and we know he will be batllin’.
Others: Mike Evans – WR – TB, Tarik Cohen – RB – Chi, Martellus Bennett – TE – GB, Cooper Kupp – WR – LAR.
1. Allen Robinson – WR – Jac: This is not a knock on A Rob but is due to QB Blake Bortles’s suckage. Chad Henne is getting the start in week 3 of the preseason and that may be the better option for Robinson’s production to be decent.
2. Rob Kelley – RB – Was: Kelley is averaging less than a yard per carry this preseason. Meanwhile, rookie Samaje Perine is averaging 4.3 YPC in a similar amount of carries. Not a good indicator for the older, probably less talented player in Kelley.
3. Tyrod Taylor – QB – Buf : Taylor’s time as a sneaky fantasy play may be up. The trade of WR Sammy Watkins hurt and Taylor’s struggles since indicate he will have trouble making his WRs better. Eventually, the coaching staff will want to see what they have behind him as Taylor is likely out of Buffalo after this year.
Others: Blake Bortles – QB – Jac, Andrew Luck – QB – Ind (likely to be out longer than expected, potentially into the regular season).