BY: Nate Leer
We are at the quarter pole of the season and fantasy baseball teams and players are starting to show true colors. Catcher continues to be a weak position and the loss of Freddie Freeman could be crippling to some teams. Finding a good bat or two and the ever elusive quality 2 start SP can help you win your league, 1 week.
For the upcoming week, these players can be helpful:
1. Welington Castillo – C – Bal (available in 40% of Yahoo leagues and 70% of ESPN leagues): Castillo is en fuego. He plays in an ideal park and is part of a good lineup. Add him now if you need catching help, even as a 2nd C if you’re top guy is struggling.
2. Justin Bour – 1B – Mia (80%, 78%): Bour has had productive stretches in the past and he is getting going again. Add his power bat if you need to replace Freddie Freeman or just need more pop in your lineup.
3. Matt Shoemaker – SP – LAA (44%, 42%): Shoemaker got it going last year and turned into a valuable fantasy asset. He could build momentum this week coming off a couple helpful fantasy starts and facing 2 less than scary matchups. Excellent streaming option for this week.
4. German Marquez – SP – Col (94%, 93%): Marquez has had some excellent games as well as some duds. This week he should get 2 starts against bottom half of the league offenses. He’s worth an add if you are streaming SPs.
5. Derek Law – RP – SF (73%, 84%): Yes, Melancon is back but he is also a player with a high WHIP so far, limited arm talent and a very recent elbow injury. If you’re in a deep league with a limited supply of relief pitching or a league that rewards holds, Law is an excellent speculative add. Law figures to get an occasional save and could be in a prime spots if Melancon falters as the Giants figure to get hot at some point this year.
Others to consider: Dansby Swanson – SS – Atl (60%, 63%), Alex Avila – C – Det (77%, 83%), Mike Clevinger – SP – Cle (86%, 94%).