By: Fan Sports Lists Team
7 Players to start this week:
1. Jerick McKinnon – RB – Min vs. Ind: McKinnon has been underwhelming to say the least this year and this could be his last opportunity before Adrian Peterson enters the picture again. The Colts are giving up 115 yards per game rushing. McKinnon should also see around 5 or so targets in the pass game which helps.
2. Jay Ajayi – RB – Mia @ NYJ: Without starting QB Ryan Tannehill, the Fins should lean on Ajayi even more. Ajayi is coming off a tough matchup against the Cardinals and could be poised to bounce back nicely against a Jets D that allowed 248 rushing yards last week.
3. Kenneth Farrow – RB – SD vs. Oak: With Melvin Gordon expected to miss the rest of the season it only leaves Farrow and the well-traveled Ronnie Hillman. This week should be a tune up for what is likely to happen next week @ Cle.
4. Malcolm Mitchell – WR – NE @ Den: Mitchell has become a favorite target for TB12. He has 4 straight games with double digit points. Even though the Broncos are stout against the pass, I still think he gets at least 6-8 targets.
5. Sammy Watkins – WR – Buf vs. Cle: He has looked pretty good in his 3 games back from the foot injury. He caught his 1st TD in the snow last week so his foot should be healed and ready to go. He also has the dream matchup for playoff time.
6. Zach Ertz – TE – Phi @ Bal: This might be a difficult matchup for Ertz but it may not matter because of the amount of targets (28) he has the last 2 weeks.
7. Tevin Coleman – RB – Atl vs. SF: The matchup could not get any better for Coleman facing the worst rush D for yards allowed this year by a lot. Coleman had a big game last week and I have always felt he is the most talented back on the team. That’s not a knock on Devonta Freeman so it is a huge compliment to Coleman.
Honorable mention: Tyrell Williams – WR – SD vs. Oak, Derek Carr – QB – Oak @ SD.
6 Players to bench or cut now:
1. Jeremy Hill – RB – Cin vs. Pit: Hill had a solid showing last weekend against the Browns but it’s likely to stop there. Outside of the 2 games against the Browns, Hill has had a sub par season again. The Steelers are only giving up 90 rush yards per game so don’t be afraid to explore other options.
2. Donte Moncrief – WR – Ind @ Min: He is questionable with a hamstring injury and he has become a TD dependent possession receiver gaining only 277 yards in 7 games this year.
3. James Starks – RB – GB @ Chi: He seems to have been forgotten in cheese land with only 6 carries in the last 2 games. It is clear Christine Michael and Ty Montgomery will get most of the touches and even they have a TD vulture (FB Aaron Ripkowski) waiting on the sidelines.
4. Terrelle Pryor, Sr. – WR – Cle @ Buf: He has had a breakout year catching 63 balls for 858 yards and 4 TDs and he did this all with below average QBs. Robert Griffin III started last week, completing only 12 passes and only 1 to Pryor for 3 yards. No one can risk him having another day like last week.
5. SD D vs. Oak: Sitting this D this week might be a good option going against the Raiders high powered O, plus their best pass rusher is hurt. Keep them on your roster though because of next week’s matchup with the Browns.
6. Brandon Marshall – WR – NYJ vs. Mia: The Marshall Plan has mostly been a failure this year. Now he is hurting all over, playing with a inexperience QB and not the focal point of said QB. Avoid him if at all possible this week.
(Dis)honorable mention: Frank Gore – RB – Ind @ Min.
7 Players to plug-in or pick-up if possible:
1. Bilal Powell – RB – NYJ vs. Mia: Powell could be in for another big week. Matt Forte’s availability for Saturday is in question which will open things up for Bowell. The Jets are facing a Dolphins D that is giving up 133 rushing yards a game. If he is available in your league, go get him.
2. Alshon Jeffery – WR – Chi vs. GB: Jeffery is coming back to a bad Bears team but he should see plenty of targets. Jeffery will more or less be auditioning for next season and, after this year, he has plenty to prove.
3. Vernon Davis – TE – Was vs. Car: If you are in need of a TE, Davis could be your man. He is coming off a down effort against the Eagles but will have a more inviting matchup this week against the Panthers who are giving up 272 yards per game passing. Jordan Reed is still not 100% from his shoulder injury, but it is worth monitoring the situation prior to kickoff.
4. Dwayne Washington – RB – Det @ NYG: With QB Matt Stafford dealing with a hand issue and Theo Riddick still uncertain (wrist), Washington could see a few more touches than usual. He will be facing a generally stout Giants D but they have allowed back-to-back 100 plus yard rushers in the past 2 games. This could be the one where he blows up.
5. Ty Montgomery – WR, RB – GB @ Chi: It is supposed to be ugly weather this week @ Chi so the Packers may have to lean heavily on their ground game. He also is a great pass catcher out of backfield.
6. Kenneth Dixon – RB – Bal vs. Phi: Last week Dixon out touched West 19-6 and he might be the fresher back at this time of year. Dixon did show last week that he is a good option catching the ball out of the backfield with 8 grabs and TD.
7. Isaiah Crowell – RB – Cle @ Buf: He had a special game last week averaging 10 yards a carry. He has had a productive year playing on the league’s worst team.
Honorable mention: Christine Michael – RB – GB @ Chi.