By: Nate Leer
Today is the first day of the rest of your fantasy sports life!
We’re launching this site (learn more about who “we” are in our intro post) because we are fantasy sports heads. One lesson I have learned about playing fantasy sports is that each day is the beginning of another championship run. What the hell does that mean, you ask? It means that no matter how bad today may be going – bad injury to a player on one of your teams, somehow your line-up wasn’t set right or you just took a bad loss – tomorrow will be the start of the next challenge.
The Fan Sports Lists’ contributors all play in at least 3-4 fantasy sports leagues. Our shared obsession with playing in a bunch of fantasy leagues in multiple sports makes this a great, year ’round hobby!
For me, my lifelong love of football, baseball and basketball makes playing in fantasy leagues for those sports a pretty obvious way to enjoy them. Also, while I do not know much about hockey, the fantasy league I am in has been a great way to get my fantasy fix in the winter – even if my basketball teams are struggling. Plus, the next draft season in another sport is never more than 6 months away. And I #CANTWAIT!
So that is the point. If you really dig fantasy sports, there is always a couple sports going, a new league about to start and/or offseason work to do for next year.
So here are the 5 reasons why every day is Day 1 for the rest of your fantasy sports life!
- No matter how the last day, week or month went, what you do next is what matters! Don’t get frustrated and lazy just because your best moves didn’t work great yesterday. If you slack for even a day, that bad day can ruin a week, and one bad week can ruin a season. It is important to keep working towards the goal of winning your league. Get back on that horse, cowboy!
- There are always reasons to keep playing! Even if you are out of the running in your league, there is motivation in winning each week. Play for pride and to mess with your “friends” by spoiling their chances to win.
- There is no off-season! Of course this is especially true for pro football but the other sports also have off-season transactions and news that will effect the next fantasy season. Stay on top of the latest news and A-Always, B-Be, C-Contemplating. Always be contemplating how the latest news effects your team, draft or league!
- Now is the time to get to work! Like everything in life, the best way to ensure success is to work hard. Out-working your opponents is the best way to ensure success. Read more blogs, know more stats, work the waiver wire or free agent lists harder, do more mock drafts. There is always something that can be done today to improve your team or knowledge so don’t put off doing the work of winning.
- Lastly, remember: It’s just a game! No matter how bad it gets, it is just a game. To be fair, I have been known to be a little grumpy after a bad fantasy football weekend. However, it is nothing compared to how truly mad at life people get after their football team loses (and, as a Vikes fan, in the end they always did for us). Craziness! As much as we love fantasy sports, and sports in general, having the right perspective will actually help you stay ahead of your rivals by not becoming too frustrated with what is really just a little competition among friends.
So there it is! Our first fantasy sports list. We hope you enjoyed it! We welcome sharing and commenting if you have any thoughts about focusing on each day as the start of something great, or fantasy sports in general. Keep winning!